PEEX ‘Pan Eurasian Experiment’
Areas of Expertise
Centres of Excellence in Research (FCoE) are the flagships of Finnish science policy. FCoEs are granted by the Academy of Finland and are intended for the research teams and their consortia to carry out research at the highest level.
The FCoE in physics, chemistry, biology and meteorology of atmospheric composition and climate change originates from the early 1980s, when scientists from the Department of Physics and Department of Forest Ecology at the University of Helsinki created a multidisciplinary team and started to unravel questions related to biosphere-atmosphere interactions.
We have been awarded the Academy of Finland FCoE status in 2002-2007, 2008-2013 and 2014-2019.
Our main objective is to
- Find out and quantify the main climatic feedbacks and forcing mechanisms related to aerosols, clouds, precipitation, biosphere-atmosphere and cryosphere-atmosphere interactions;
- Develop, refine and utilise the newest measurement techniques and modelling tools scaling from quantum chemistry to global Earth System Observations and Models;
- Create a deep and quantitative understanding on the role of atmospheric clusters and aerosol particles in local and global biogeochemical cycles of water, carbon, sulphur and nitrogen and their linkages to the atmospheric chemistry; and
- Integrate the results in the context of regional and global scale Earth system understanding.
- Profile in Pan European Networks Science and Technology – Issue 15
- Profile in Pan European Networks Government – Issue 13
- Profile in Horizon2020 Projects Portal – Issue 4
- Profile in Pan European Networks Science & Technology – Issue 7
- Profile in Horizon2020 Portal Preview
- Profile in Horizon2020 Portal – Issue 2
- Profile in Pan European Networks Government – Issue 14
- Profile in Pan European Networks Science and Technology – issue 18
- Profile in Pan European Networks Science and Technology – issue 19
- Profile in Horizon2020 Projects Portal – issue 12